Monday, January 23, 2006

What is the average static shock (in volts) that you get from touching a doorknob?

I cannot answer this question directly but I can say that body voltages can vary from zero up to 35000 V and above. In general you don't feel shocks unless your body voltage is above about 3000-4000 V. Getting out of a car, about 8000-10000 V is not uncommon. In general the likelihood of achieving a certain body voltage decreases as the voltage increases, so voltages of a few hundred volts are "normal", and a few thousand volts not uncommon, but tens of thousands of volts are more unusual.

5 comments:

Dave said...

Hello.
I would like to make a comment concerning, Electro Static Discharge.

It would seem that millions of people are bothered by this condition, whether it be harmful or not, yes it can sometimes change or alter ones vocabulary.

Would an Elector-Static Shock Absorber be of any help??

I have a small simple device that can be carried on ones person that not only indicates the presence of static but allows static to be harmlessly expended.

I am currently seeking a patent on a device that I have been field testing inseveral areas where personnel have experienced uncomfortable shocks and to date, the results are worth looking into this further.

I was always bothered by electro-static shocks at home as well as on my job as an inspector of gas and oil pipeline products.

These products are coated with a anti-corrosion material and then tested with a high voltage to check for coating integrity.

The product would retain this voltage, similar to a large capacitor, when touched a large arc would result.

My sister made mention of being shocked at a mall or grocery store, she never used to cuss but she does now.

My girlfriend works in an office atmosphere where shocking is often and very bothersome.

Every person that has complained of being shocked was given one of my devices to test, I also carry one all the time and the reports of being shocked had gone away.

They have very favorable reports upon using one.

If there are any interested people out there, drop me a line. If I can "spark" an interest, no pun intended, I will persue my dvice further.


My name is Dave and you can Contact me at, dg_engineering@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

is there some method by which we can store or accumulate energy from a static shock?

Static Doctor said...

It is possible to store the energy of static electricity, but it is so little energy it is questionable whether it would be worth it! The average shock does not have enough energy to even make a torch bulb flash.

Oliver said...

I am interested in using static shocks to trigger relay or a transistor. Do I put it through a capacitor or a coil first? I thought I could maybe use a transistor with out using an amp or anything..
Any tips?
Oliver . Kellow at gmail.com

Static Doctor said...

You could use an electrostatic discharge to drive a small transistor or mosfet. I would dump the current into a capacitor to store the charge. It would be wise to put some sort of voltage limiting (e.g. zener diode) to prevent damage of a mosfet by larger discharges. You would probably need to use the output of the fet/transistor to trigger some relay driver circuit.